Who we are
Founded by a seasoned, internationally-focused hedge fund professional, Summerwood specializes in alternative thinking and avoiding ‘more of the same’. Summerwood is led by Phil Schmitt, a pioneer in developing new financial products and services. Having built highly successful fund management companies, Summerwood has assisted with developing unique alternative funds and strategies focused on a variety of areas including carbon emissions, television production, alternative beta and long-cycle inflation protection.
Summerwood’s experience has lent itself to working with international institutional grade hedge funds. These engagements are focused on two principal activities: engaged as a corporate director on fund companies and as an exempt market dealer for transactions with Canadian institutional investors.
Summerwood Group Inc.
Summerwood was incorporated to work closely with Canadian and international hedge funds, providing them with business and marketing strategy, advisory services and corporate governance.
Summerwood Capital Corp.
Summerwood Capital Corp. is registered with the Ontario Securities Commission as an investment fund manager and portfolio manager and in various provinces as an Exempt Market Dealer. Summerwood Capital Corp. has developed and managed leading-edge alternative funds with interests in carbon emissions, television production financing, currencies, alternative beta and long-cycle inflation protection.
- 37+ year investment industry veteran, 25 specifically in hedge fund management
- Portfolio management, risk management and corporate governance
Corporate Governance – active since 2007 as an independent director on top-tier international hedge funds
- 5 manager relationships; largest AUM $18 billion, median AUM $3 billion
- Adding value to boards based on experience of managing alternative portfolios and alternative fund companies
Exempt Market Dealer – engagements with over 50 international alternative fund managers
- Facilitated over $8 billion in investments by Canadian institutions into international alternative funds
- Former Director of Alternative Investment Management Association
- Former Chair of the Alternative Investment Management Association’s Canada Group